Tips to Help Prevent Flooding In Your Davidson County Business
Water damage in any business can cause serious interruptions, but moderate water damage can be financially devastating for a small business. That business may have to shut its doors for days or even weeks while repairs are being made. So, what can a small business do to help prevent this scenario?
- Insulate Water Pipes. When temperatures drop in the 20's for several hours or drop and rise quickly, poorly insulated pipes can freeze. A burst pipe can cause thousands of dollars in damages in just a few minutes. So, insulating pipes, especially those close to outside walls or ceilings, is critical.
- Make sure your heat is sufficient even when you're closed. Many businesses drop their thermostat when they care closed to save money. But if you set your thermostat to drop below 50°, you run the risk of frozen pipes. Also, avoid big swings in the daytime and nighttime temperatures to help prevent freezing pipes.
- Know where your business's water shut-off valve is. If a pipe should break, the quicker you act, the more damage you could prevent. You and all of your employees should know where all your cut-off valves are. This simple step could stop additional damage until the professional arrive.
- Protect Your Business with The Proper Insurance. When it comes to your business's insurance, the details matter. For example, most policies will cover the cost of damages from a broken pipe but will not cover flood damage. "Flooding" is generally considered as water that has touched the ground first before entering a building. To have this covered you need to purchase flood insurance. Talk with your insurance agent about all your coverage options to make sure you have what you need.
- Have a trusted restoration company you can call. No one plans for a disaster, but you can prepare for one. At SERVPRO of Lexington/Thomasville we work with businesses daily, developing emergency response plans, assessing potential problems, and answering any questions they may have. We understand how important your business is to you, and with our 24-hour emergency services, we are faster to any disaster. That gets and keeps your business's doors open. To learn more, give us a call at (336) 224-2565 today.